Sunday

Training Kids

"I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street."
--Arnold Schwarzenegger

There is one fundamental problem with training young people. It can determine whether they succeed or fail before they even start.

Will.

If someone doesn't have the will or desire to do something then it will never be done. This is especially true in high schoolers. At this time their hormones are flowing like the salmon of Capistrano. They want to have fun, rebel, and do really really stupid things. I was one just a few years ago and I can recollect and provide examples of all of those.

Fortunately for me I had an interest in working out early on. My dad was a power-lifter and had a stint in bodybuilding as well. He had an influence on me early on and I was hooked since then.

I wanted to be like him when I was a kid so I worked my butt off.

If a young adult has the desire to work hard and is ready for a barbell program, then and only then should they enter the dragon. If you force a kid into something like this and they don't want to, they will hate it forever.

That's why I think high school should have weight training as a class, but as a SERIOUS class.

Not something to sit in there and fart around. Most of the time trying to not look like an idiot in front of the older blond girl you had a big crush on. All while she thinks you're cute but the older guys rip on you causing you to trip and fall in the middle of class. . . Just saying. Totally didn't happen to me or anything.


Me in High School, what an ass

No comments:

Post a Comment